Carpet Pre-Installation Checklist
Installing new carpet is a construction project. Some installation materials produce strong odors, and some construction activities are noisy. If you’ll be living in your home while your new carpet is being installed, plan accordingly to minimize disruption. Keep in mind that for a period, you won’t be able to use the room receiving the new carpet. It typically takes less than a day to install new carpet.
Before installation day, be sure that:
- The installation site is completely enclosed, with outside windows, doors and thresholds in place.
- All wet processes (like drywall or plaster) are finished well before installation.
- Air conditioning, heating and ventilation systems are operable.
- Electricity and water are directly available in the work area.
- Any new, unfinished quarter-round or base molding that you’re providing for installation has been painted or stained. We recommend that you complete painting or staining at least 24 hours prior to installation so the finish is completely dry before installation begins.
For areas directly affected by the installation:
- Cover the installation area’s entryways and vents to contain dust and debris.
- Create a clear path through your home for easy access to the installation area and removal of debris. Cover furniture and floors along this path and in areas adjacent to the installation.
- Remove all items from cabinets, entertainment centers, bookcases, closets and similar containers.
- Move all breakables, such as lamps, vases, mirrors, wall hangings, antiques or other valuables, from areas affected by installation work.
- Disconnect and remove all electronic equipment, including televisions, stereos and computers. Remove all electrical wires running under carpet or along baseboards and door casings.
- Move furniture out of the room receiving the new floor. If you prefer, Royal Home Flooring can move furniture for you for an additional charge (see your purchase order to check if this service was added).
On installation day, our licensed, insured installers will be on time, courteous and efficient. They’ll have the equipment they need, and they’ll be ready to install your new carpet. You won’t need to provide any special tools or materials. Just meet these simple requirements:
- If there is a balance on your account we do require payment prior to the installation of your flooring
- Make certain to have an adult (over age 18) with the authority to make installation decisions on hand during the installation process.
- Keep the temperature in the installation area between 60° and 80°Fahrenheit. Keep children and pets away from the installation area.
When the installation process is complete, our installation team will:
- Vacuum and clean the installation site.
- Remove all installation-related debris.
- Conduct a final inspection of your new carpet and the installation site for your approval.
Once your new carpet has been installed, you should:
- Change your air filters.
- Complete any touchup painting required on walls, doors or trim.
- Make sure all doors work properly. If your new carpet is substantially thicker than the old carpet, your doors may no longer swing freely. You may need to hire a carpenter to trim them or to install replacements.
- Carefully move furniture and other items back into the room using the proper moving equipment.
If you have any questions about the installation process, we’re ready to help. You can reach us at (708) 430-4663 or email@example.com