Site-finished Wood Floor Pre-Installation Checklist
Installing a new wood floor is a construction project. Some installation materials produce strong odors, and some construction activities are noisy. If you’ll be living in your home while your new floor is being installed, plan accordingly to minimize disruption. Keep in mind that for a period of time, you won’t be able to use the room receiving the new floor. It typically takes three to four days after the acclimation period to install a new floor, depending on subfloor conditions.
Proper Humidity Level For Your Hardwood Floor
Royal Home Flooring Highly Recommends installing a Central Humidifying system in your home prior to the installation/Purchase of Hardwood Flooring. Manufacturers may decline warranty coverage without proper humidity levels inside the home, this is more so important in the Midwest due to the highly volatile season changes. Also, Royal Home Flooring will decline any installation Warranty claims for homes that do not have a Humidifying system and/or improper humidity levels.
The National Wood Floor Association (NWFA) states that normal relative humidity levels should range between 30%-50% to ensure successful long-term performance of your wood flooring.
This range can often be difficult to achieve in certain areas of the country during certain seasons. Therefore, Royal Home Flooring recommends the installation and use of a central Humidifying system to help protect your flooring investment & comply with manufacturer recommendations to ensure warranty validation.
Before installation day, be sure that:
- The installation site is completely enclosed, with outside windows, doors and thresholds in place.
- All wet processes (like drywall or plaster) are finished well before installation.
- Air conditioning, heating and ventilation systems are operable.
- Electricity and water are directly available in the work area.
- Any new, unfinished quarter-round or base molding that you’re providing for installation has been painted or stained. We recommend that you complete painting or staining at least 24 hours prior to installation so the finish is completely dry before installation
For areas directly affected by the installation:
- Cover the installation area’s entryways and vents to contain dust and debris.
- Create a clear path through your home for easy access to the installation area and removal of debris.
- Cover furniture and floors along this path and in areas adjacent to the installation.
- Remove all items from cabinets, entertainment centers, bookcases, closets and similar containers.
- Move all breakables, such as lamps, vases, mirrors, wall hangings, antiques or other valuables, from areas affected by installation work.
- Disconnect and remove all electronic equipment, including televisions, stereos and computers.
- Remove all electrical wires running under carpets or along baseboards and door casings.
- Move furniture out of the room receiving the new floor. If you prefer, Royal Home Flooring can move furniture for you for an additional charge (see your purchase order to check if this service was added).
- Please Note for any Appliances we will need at clearance on each side & ample space inside the home/work areas to ensure we have access to refinishing under the appliance areas. Please note we do move dishwashers in any circumstance. We also do disconnect any electrical, plumbing, and/or gas lines from any appliances. If there is no access to remove/pull out appliance, we will then refinish around that area. Any appliances of high value or is considered a specialty appliances will be moved and will have to require a professional to come out and move the appliance.
Your installation expert will obtain all necessary permits and licenses before installation begins.
early delivery and acclimation period
Unfinished Wood flooring material needs to acclimate (adjust) to the moisture and temperature conditions of the installation environment for at least three days (72 hours) before it can be installed.
Pre-finshed Hard Wood acclimates in sections in our warehouse that are both Temperature & Moisture controlled prior to installation When the flooring material you ordered arrives at Royal Home Flooring, we will contact you to arrange a convenient delivery date, depending on the current seasonal climate as well as an installation date three or more days later.
On installation day, our licensed, insured installers will be on time, courteous and efficient. They’ll have the equipment they need, and they’ll be ready to install your new floor. You won’t need to provide any special tools or materials. Just meet these simple requirements:
- If there is a balance on your account we do require payment prior to the installation of your flooring
- Make certain to have an adult (over age 18) with the authority to make installation decisions on hand during the installation process.
- Keep the temperature in the installation area between 60° and 80° Fahrenheit.
- Keep children and pets away from the installation area.
That’s it! We’ll take care of the rest.
The moisture content of the installation site is an important consideration for wood floors. When The Royal Home Flooring installation team initially measures and assesses your installation site, they will also conduct the first moisture detection test. On installation day, they will conduct a second moisture detection test before they begin the installation. For more information on what this means and how it may affect your installation, see the Testing for Moisture Conditions section below.
When the installation process is complete, our installation team will:
- Clean the installation site.
- Remove all installation-related debris.
- Conduct a final inspection of your new floor and the installation site for your approval.
- Provide you with warranty and care information for your new wood floor.
Unexpected site conditions
In almost all cases, the final estimate you receive will accurately reflect the condition of the installation site, and it won’t be necessary to adjust cost or schedule. Occasionally, however, we discover conditions (water or termite damage; electrical or plumbing problems) during installation that must be addressed before we can complete the installation. These conditions may require additional labor and materials.
In most cases, The Royal Home Flooring installation team will be able to complete the necessary work. Any additional charges, if applicable, will be added to your installation cost and the schedule will be adjusted accordingly.
If Royal Home Flooring cannot supply the necessary labor, you may need to hire another contractor to perform that portion of the work before we can complete your installation.
wait for the finish to dry
- Before you use the new floor or move into the room, make sure the floor’s finish is completely dry. An unfinished wood floor is sanded, stained and finally sealed with one or more coats of finish. Each time a stain or finish coat is applied, the floor must be left to dry overnight. When the installers leave after applying the last coat of finish, you should wait 24 hours before you do anything in the room – do not walk on the floor during this time. If you do, the floor will be damaged.
once your new wood floor has been installed and the final coat of finish has dried overnight, you should:
- Change your air filters.
- Complete any touchup painting required on walls, doors or trim.
- Make sure all doors work properly. If your new floor is substantially thicker than your old floor, your doors may no longer swing freely. You may need to hire a carpenter to trim them or to install replacements.
- Carefully move furniture and other items back into the room using the proper moving equipment. Following manufacturer’s guidelines, put appropriate protectors on the feet of chairs, tables and other furniture to avoid damaging your floor.
- Immediately begin proper care and maintenance. Always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to maintain your warranty and keep your floor looking its best.
- Refinishing of hardwood flooring will cause dust throughout the areas of the home. Even though we use a dustless system, dust gets transferred through the HVAC system along with movement in the home. We recommended hiring a 3rd party cleaning company after we finish the installation to ensure your home is clear & safe to live in. Royal Home Flooring does not provide and/or compensate for any cleaning services.
Testing For Moisture Conditions
The moisture content of the installation site is an important consideration for wood floors. To ensure successful installation, Royal Home Flooring in conjunction with major flooring manufacturers, has developed new standards for moisture detection and measurement and for site acclimation:
- The installation site’s moisture levels will be measured twice:
- When the installation site is initially measured and inspected.
- On the day the installation team arrives to install your new floor, before they begin the installation.
- The results of these two tests may affect your installation in a variety of ways:
- Low moisture levels indicate that the installation may proceed as planned.
- Moderately high moisture levels may indicate that a moisture barrier should be installed, or that the flooring material should be stored for a longer period to adjust more thoroughly to the site’s conditions.
- High moisture levels may indicate that wood floors should not be installed under any circumstances.
- In all cases, Royal Home Flooring follows the manufacturer’s guidelines for the specific flooring product. /
- Carefully move furniture and other items back into the room. Use the proper moving equipment for heavy pieces.
How To Prevent Damage
- Place rugs at all doors and on high-traffic paths.
- House train pets and regularly trim their nails.
- Do not allow dirty or muddy shoes on floor.
- Never wet mop hardwood floors.
- Avoid ultraviolet light damage by installing drapes or UV filters on windows.
- Do not use sharp objects like wheels, high heels (especially damaged ones) or silverware on the floor.
- Keep colored liquids or markers away from the floor.
- Regularly vacuum, dust and remove spots and spills to enhance the beauty and life of your floor.